Monday, September 28, 2009

Days in the life of an Erica

Today I have no deep thoughts. However, I thought you might be interested to know what I have been doing recently.

These past two days have been an AU preview weekend for Battle Creek Academy. As an Ambassador I was involved with that. Some of you may be wondering what an Ambassador is... well, I shall tell you. As Andrews Ambassadors we are the front line - we are who the visitors see when they come to find out about Andrews. Our main function is to give campus tours and to host visitors in our dorm rooms. We also help out for registration and the Amazing Race and things like that on big Preview weekends such as Junior Preview and Senior Preview.
This weekend was just Battle Creek Academy so it was a pretty low-key weekend for us. We had a girl staying in our room on Sunday night so we got to get out the air mattress (one is given to each of the Ambassadors) for her to sleep on. On Sunday evening we also gave tours to the kids who were divided into groups of 7-10. It was fun to show kids around and tell them about the different things on campus - the buildings, departments and activities. I was surprised to find out how much I actually knew about each building and area of campus. I guess that's what happens when you've lived her for 11 years.

This weekend was also the AU Alumni weekend which I was also somewhat involved in - but only to a small degree. I walked in the parade - well, the beginning of the parade - as an AU Ambassador but before we got too far I had to jog over to the HPAC where I joined up with the AU Wind Symphony. We practiced for the flag raising and then held up the parade as we crossed the street to make our way over to the mall area. We set up in a Semi-circle around the US Flag, practiced a little more and then went to find shelter in the Seminary since it had started raining. Finally, Mr. Mitchell decided that we weren't going to be able to play since the rain was still coming and he called off the performance.

Saturday night was the Gala Concert and Howard which was put on by the AU Symphony Orchestra, the Choir, and the AU Wind Symphony. The wind symphony played last. We had five songs, Gavorkna Fanfare by Jack Stamp, Chester: Overture for Band by William Schuman, The Earle of Oxford's March from the William Byrd Suite by William Byrd, The Glory of the Yankee Navy by John Philip Sousa and Nessun Dorma from the Opera Turandot by Giacomo Puccini - at which point we were joined by a tenor who is one of the graduate students.

Today has been rather exciting simply because it has been very interesting weather. Winnie the Pooh describes it best when he says, "Oh bother, it's a blustery day." But in my opinion "It's a razzle dazzle day!" (also a quote from Winnie the Pooh.) I had the tremendous need to go walk outside but unfortunately there were these crazy things called classes that I had to go to.


Since I'm on the subject of Winnie the Pooh I'm now including some of my favorite WP quotes.

"Hugs are better than honey"


"Even thinking makes me hungry!"
"Like little flowers budding, new friends need encouraging thoughts to grow too!"
"Nobody can be uncheered by a balloon"
"Small steps make grand adventures"
                          - My personal favorite for the day.



"Smiles and cookies are the best sort of medicine"
"Sometimes a day of unbotherment is what’s called for"
"There’s no such thing as too many hugs"
"Will we be friends forever?” Piglet asked “Even longer” Pooh answered"
"Things are so much more grand and wonderful when your friends are there to share them"
"Friends warm you inside and out"

I hope you all enjoy this most fabulous day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment