Monday, September 24, 2012

Tales of Adventures in Danmark and Going South

Finally! I've arrived!

    "It's cold". That was my first thought when I arrived in Denmark. You'd think that since I'm an intelligent human being that I would think of that... but no. I mean, I knew it would be colder then Africa but... well, I guess I wasn't thinking. I arrived in Denmark late Tuesday evening shivering (a lot) and ready for a nap. Jason's bright, smiling face greeted me at the bus station before he drove me back to the school and introduced me to all the other SM's there. The rest of the week was filled with movie watching, hanging out, visiting a local Danish town, walking down to the Fjord and seeing the school. On Friday Jason had to leave for the Vejlefjordskolen's Boy's weekend retreat. I got to stay at the school and get to know the girls a little better through games, meals, and worships.
Early Sunday morning, Jason came back to the school with the school's minivan to drive me to the airport. We checked me in and then sat talking at a table until I had to go through security and board my flight.
Visiting the beach at Juelsminde after getting ice cream


    I arrived in Copenhagen and trundled across the airport, arriving just in time to board my next plane. Two hours later I had the pleasure of beginning an 8 hour layover in Heathrow Airport, London. On the plus side, I got to finish the book I was reading...

    Finally, 3 hours before my plane boarded, I could check in and go through security, but then I had to wait for another 3 hours. Let me tell you, duty free shopping gets really boring after about fifteen minutes. At last, the boarding call was issued and I got on the plane only to sit on the runway for an extra half an hour or more. This of course meant that we were 41 minutes late arriving in Johannesburg, meaning I missed my connection to Cape Town. Let's just say... the British Airways people in Cape Town have some communication issues... when I finally figured out where to go to get on the next flight I had walked back an forth more times then I found enjoyable. I finally made it into cape town two hours after intended.
My grandparents met me and took me past the school and my cousin's house before settling at the house, where I took a shower and finally felt human again. We'll see what happens tomorrow...
  -E


Sitting on the dock at the fjord by the school



Liv, Tatjana, Jenna, Melissa, Marianne (other SMs), and I
before the Girls' Weekend banquet. 

Horses at Vejlefjordskolen

No comments:

Post a Comment