Thursday, October 18, 2012

Serenaded

They approached me in the cafeteria. At the time I was sitting alone so I wasn't sure what they were going to ask me. "We have something for you", they said and went on to say that they were sent from Administration. Personally, I'm pretty sure they made that part up but it was a nice effort anyway. They asked me if they could proceed. Wondering where they were going with their little act I nodded. After doing the whole "da da dum", find a note to start on routine, they looked at each other and started off energetically with, "Oh say can you see!" followed by mumbling and "blaksduoaihdgadnfoeihga ldgeihlaskdhgdo galliantly streaming". They got about every sixth or seventh word before stalling and saying that was all they knew. I chuckled to myself when they told me I could join in. "Hmm" was all I said. The girls dean had been attracted by the cuffuffle and tried to tell them that I wasn't totally American. They would have none of it - obviously I was from America and so should be regaled with the National Antem. Before walking off to eat their own food, they said that they would learn the rest and get back to me. While the idea of being seranaded is nice, I never thought of having the American National Anthem sung to me. I suppose the gesture was nice though.

-E

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps in thanks you could help them out with a handwritten copy of the words - in SA style, try translating a few lines into French, Afrikaans, and Spanish :) A little African beat and you might just be creating history...

    ReplyDelete