We all have those visions in our heads. We hear missionary and think fording rivers, traipsing through jungles and taming lions or teaching English to cute little Chinese children and preaching sermons to thousands of people. Are those really the requirements for being a Student Missionary? I hope not because if so, I've failed drastically. I haven't forded any rivers, the last time I was in a jungle was the Amazon in 2010, and I haven't seen a lion in years. I've never been to China and just the idea of speaking in front of thousands of people makes me quiver in my flip-flops and look for the nearest corner to cower in. I guess its safe to say that I don't feel like a missionary. I don't know if I ever will this year. It simply feels like I have a poorly paying job, living in a place where I would have to walk miles to get to any semblance of public transportation. Also, I have family close by. The stereotypical Student Missionary shouldn't have family within a thousand miles.
Some days it feels like I lucked out, other days it feels like I don't get the exciting experience of new and foreign cultures. I mean, I've been here before, I've seen all the landmarks, I even have the passport - I was born here after all. I didn't get the experience of figuring out a visa or going to a place I had only seen in books or on the internet. Needless to say, this wasn't my first choice of Student Missionary positions. It wasn't even my second, or my third, but somehow this is where God wanted me. While it wasn't in my plans, it was in God's. Maybe someday I'll have a clearer picture as to why. For now, all I can hope is that I'll be used as a blessing to someone. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy here, I'm just not feeling particularly Student Missionary-ish. I'll let you know if that changes...
-E
Some days it feels like I lucked out, other days it feels like I don't get the exciting experience of new and foreign cultures. I mean, I've been here before, I've seen all the landmarks, I even have the passport - I was born here after all. I didn't get the experience of figuring out a visa or going to a place I had only seen in books or on the internet. Needless to say, this wasn't my first choice of Student Missionary positions. It wasn't even my second, or my third, but somehow this is where God wanted me. While it wasn't in my plans, it was in God's. Maybe someday I'll have a clearer picture as to why. For now, all I can hope is that I'll be used as a blessing to someone. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy here, I'm just not feeling particularly Student Missionary-ish. I'll let you know if that changes...
-E
![]() |
| The view from my window - Sunset over the ocean |

No comments:
Post a Comment